Saturday, May 20, 2006

Go West! Alaska - July 04

I had the luck to get invited to a conference in Alaska. I headed up a few days before the conference started and 'played'. Technically, I should have had an extra day in Alaska...but that is a different story.


It was a bit odd getting to the hotel at midnight and it was still light out. I slept for a few hours, couldn't sleep anymore, and started my day at sunrise...shortly before 4am. I had a great western breakfast and drove to my first trailhead.

Above is the moose I saw on the way. To every native Alaskans' dismay, I stopped the car almost in the middle of the street and took this picture.

The next morning I started out on a two day solo trip. This would be my first night camping alone. They say that the most dangerous part of Alaska is not the bears - it is getting lost in the vast wilderness.

The valley above was massive and amazing. One feels quite 'alone' during such a hike. I saw about 5 people during the two days.


Self portrait at campsite. It was extremely eerie when the clouds moved in. At one part, I couldn't see more than about 10 feet in front of me and was walking over snowpack. I came to a crossroads and couldn't see far enought to know where to turn.

So, I just waited until some Swedish hikers came by. Needless to say, it was very eerie.


While they say that bears aren't too much of a risk, I did see a few from a distance. Needless to say, I put the dry food I had a long way from the tent.


No comments: