Monday, May 22, 2006

Eva's Grandfather's 80th Birthday Party

We were invited to attend Eva's Grandfather's 80th birthday party. For Germans, the 'round' birthdays are very special (40, 50, etc), and the larger the number, the more important it gets. I really didn't know what to expect - after all it was a party with a bunch of 70 and 80 year olds.

Needless to say, it was a half day event with plenty of beer, wine, and schnapps - I was impressed. Everyone had a great time, and I got to meet some of the more 'distant' family members.
Eva's grandfather was an avid hunter. In his house, there is a room with racks of mounted deer skulls (I'm sure there is a more technical hunting term for these things). Above, his hunting club is playing a few traditional hunting songs. Note how straight Eva's grandfather is standing on the right. Very impressive the close knit hunting community.
Above the three sons reading a birthday poem.

Me and Eva's gradfather, Kurt.

No comments: