Monday, June 04, 2012

Stone Fettish

Last week when Emily and I were walking toward daycare together (like most days, after we dropped off Quinn), Emily said 'Stein' (Stone).  Since our little girl has a bit of stone fettish, I gave her the normal response:  did you find a stone you like?

(we don't know how or why she has this...but she loves small, round, smooth stones...and is always picking them up and hiding them somewhere.  There are stones all over the house).

She was not pleased with my response.  Stein, Papa.  Stein.  Then she pointed at me.  Emily, I said, I don't have any stones, but if you find one, you can pick it up.  Emily was now slightly (visably) annoyed.  She then finally pointed to my suit:  Stein.  Emily, I clarified, I don't have any stones.  Then she pointed to my pocket.  Emily, I don't have any stones in my pocket, and you didn't give me any stones to carry this morning.

Doch! (the German word for 'you are full of crap, Papa' ... ok ... not exactly, but you get the point).

Emily, you didn't give me a stone.

Doch!  Doch!

So, to appease our stone fettish girl, who was not pleased, I put my hand in the pocket she pointed at.

Look, Emily, there is no st...Wait.  How did that stone get in my pocket?  I handed Emily her stone.  She was again happily piddling toward day care.  She had her stone.

I still have no idea how that bloody stone got there.  She definitely didn't sneak it in earlier when we dropped Quinn off.  As best as I can tell, she gave me the stone the last time I wore the suit...and remembered that I put it in my pocket.

Smart girl.  She'll keep her papa on his feet.

No comments: