Monday, June 11, 2012

Hello Kitty Underwear

Let's just get to the point:  Emily is in no hurry to get potty trained.  We have tried everything short of forcing her out of diapers, which we didn't want to do for fear that the simple act of force would create the opposite reaction.  We thought that once the other children in day care started going to the toilet, she would follow.

Quinn tried to encourage her as well.  Nothing.

When she got a red butt from eating too many strawberries (which she absolutely loves), we blamed the diapers.  Nothing.  Eva even went out to get some Hello Kitty underwear to encourage her (once she started going to the toilet, she could wear the HK underwear).  Nothing.

We were getting perplexed:  Emily will head to kindergarten in August, and she shows absolutely no signs of wanting to be potty trained.  If HK cannot help, what can.  Once Quinn started, it seemed like a very long time before we could leave him without a diaper without worrying.  I don't want to say that we were getting worried, but we were definitely running out of ideas.

Enter the forgetful Papa.

As I was racing to take Emily to her swim course on Saturday, I assumed she packed her backpack like always:  swimsuit, towel, diapers, and miscellaneous stuff.  I grabbed the backpack and bolted out the door with Emily.  The class went OK (she still doesn't like to get her hair wet)...and after the shower, I got her dressed...and to my horror:  no diaper.

OK...no big deal.  The pool is only a few minutes from home.

I tried to encourage her.  After all, it was only a few minutes.  She opens the door, and smiles and tells Eva that she's not wearing a diaper.  And, even better, she didn't seem to want one.  OK...we can try this.

As of the end of Sunday, she only had 2 accidents ... and seems to be doing well.

P.S. Note from the boss:  If this would have happened with Eva in the bathroom at the swim course, 4 mommies would have jumped up to offer a diaper (and this has actually happened once before).  I guess the other dads didn't have a diaper handy...or thought 'Tough shit, man'.

Oops...another Euro.

No comments: