Tuesday, June 22, 2010

7 Year Itch

I moved to Germany 7 years ago today. It is hard to believe that it has been so long already, and a lot has changed since I landed in Germany to live with Eva and to continue to work for Siemens.

Even more difficult to believe is that I have lived in my town in Germany longer than my hometown in Texas and longer than any other town.

While such milestones lend themselves to cliches (which I have tried to avoid), they also lend themselves to reflection of a fantastic last 7 years.

Above and beyond this milestone, Emily also hit a milestone today: she pulled herself up into a sitting position today and ate her first cookie.

We also had our first parent/teacher conference at Quinn's kindergarten. While I'm sure that every parent leaves such conferences with a list of all the great things their child does, Quinn had a few points where we can help him improve on top of a list of great qualities that Quinn shows every day. His weaknesses as well as his strengths are products of his parents, and it is very interesting to see the analysis from this perspective.

At the end of the conference, I had to chuckle a bit, as for some reason, I was reminded of my 'report card' from either kindergarten or first grade (which my parents showed me when I was in college) where the teacher said that I 'need to work on tying my shoes'.

No comments: