Saturday, June 05, 2010

Still the Greatest

After all of these years, Braveheart is still my favorite movie. With Eva and the kids away for the weekend, I took the time to put on a movie (or two) and turn up my beautiful home theater system.

First it was Gladiator. A great flick...then Braveheart.

It was about 15 years ago when I saw Braveheart the first time. Hard to believe it has been that long ago. Sam and I were eating chips and fresh salsa in his room. Back then, we really didn't have the cash for such luxuries, but one of us were down on our luck in the women category (ironic that I don't remember which one of us it was), and we decided to splurge.

...and then go to the movies to see this unheard (but getting popular) movie with Mel Gibson called Braveheart.

Both of us were blown away. I still get goosebumps when I think about
it.

"Aye, fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live...at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!

That was a truly great day. I can still taste that salsa. I'm still not sure why such things just stay stuck in my head...and how such superficial things bring back such great warm feelings and memories, but I'm glad they do.

No comments: