Before I start, let me at first be clear: I love college football, and I love CU football even better.
The "Miracle in Michigan" was one of the best days in my life. CU whuppin' up on Nebraska 62-36 in the Big XII Championship was another.
But...after almost 7 years in Germany, I have to admit, that I'm excited with the World Cup. In 2006, the World Cup was in Germany, and it was an absolutely amazing event - where a simple sporting event finally enabled a country - that has a lot to pride itself upon in the last 60 years - to show patriotism that had been culturally forbidden since the end of the second world war.
Imagine March Madness (the college basketball tourneyment for the German readers) happening only once every 4 years. That is the World Cup (of soccer).
Virtually a whole month of games - 3 a day in the first round - then the pre-quarterfinals (Achtelfinale), quarterfinals, and so on. It is a soccer fan's dream.
Quinn already has his Germany jersey...and I have mine as well. But, if the Americans find themselves against the Germans in the pre-quarterfinals...which is a real possibility...as hard as it may be to explain since I know the German team and players by heart (and don't know any of the US players at all), I know I'll be rooting for the US. It is hard to explain, but this is just how it is. This is how it works. I think that any expat can understand this. It was the same in the World Cup in 2002 (where Germany actually played the US).
Thankfully, I have two countries to cheer for...and I wish both of them the best.
...but if I had to pick one team to win, it would be Germany. For those American readers, please don't perceive this as a lack of patriotism, but the reality of an expat.
Go Buffs!
Go Team USA!
Deutschland! '54, '74, '90, '10 Wir stimmen alle ein. Mit den Herz in der Hand und der Leidenschaft dabei, werden wir Weltmeister sein!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment