Thursday, August 03, 2006

Santa Claus got screwed - Rome 2006

One of the fortifications outside of the Vatican. Don't ask me the name...I have it written somewhere, because I knew I would forget it.


Near the Vatican was an 'art-deco' area - in a Roman sort of way - called Trastevere. There were all sorts of street vendors selling their wares. It also had a bit of a Boulder feel. Below was an ancient Fiat with the butterflies that the artist was selling.

We stopped at a street cafe to have coffee and cake. The girs had this blood orange juice. At over 8 Euros, it was a bit pricey, but definitely tasty.

Since Uncle Charley paid for the meal as a gift, we somewhat joked that 'Uncle Charley got screwed'. The next day, we had some really expensive cake and coffee at a different cafe in the center of Rome. Since the meals that day were our gift that we Eva's parents for Christmas, we then joked that Santa Claus got screwed...

The Acropolis was very cool...kinda hard to believe that it is still standing. The dome on the main room actually has a hole in it. After Rome was destroyed, the technology to make a hole in a dome was lost for centuries...

...until they built Texas Stadium in Dallas where a hole was designed over the dome so that God could watch the Cowboys play ;-)

...ps. I'm not a Cowboys fan, but I find the story amusing.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: