Sunday, March 04, 2007

Pinkeln lassen

Quinn had quite a few visitors his first days in the hospital, including his Aunt Nina, who hopped on a train to Erlangen after finishing her night shift at work after hearing that Quinn had been born.

Quinn is definitely taking after his father by taking lots of naps. I'm particularly happy about this because I now have a great excuse for taking a nap. The breast that is pictured is mine and not Eva's.
Here's Quinn in his hospital crib with his name tag.
Another picture I took while Quinn was napping. I'm getting pretty good at taking pics with one hand...
When the little guy is napping, you can tell he is dreaming about something because of how he moves his eyes and hands. I definitely wonder what he is dreaming about...maybe about the 'good ol' days' of swimming around in Eva's belly.
As is tradition from Eva's part of town, when the mother and child is still in the hospital, the father throws a party for their family and friends.

"Wir wollen das Kind pinkeln lassen"

Roughly translated, we want to let the child pee. Between the lines, this means that it is the father's last chance to really get hammered before the family comes home. So, last night, I had our neighbors and friends over for a small party to celebrate Quinn's birth.

Eva'a parents and Nina did a great job getting everything prepared for our guests! Only on very rare occasions does one see Eva's mom drinking...and below we have proof of the special occasion.

As is becoming 'tradition', the Gould-Göttgens party was a great time. We played the music louder than we should have and we drank more schnapps that we needed. It got especially loud when I played Quinn's theme song: "The Mighty Quinn". Nina hamming it up for the camera with a beer cap in her eye.
Before we picked Eva up from the hospital, we got the condo all ready for our new arrival. I even cleaned the toilets!
Here I am with Quinn shortly before leaving the hospital. The weather was perfect for the event - a beautiful spring day.

At the hospital, they had a map of the world, where we could put stickers denoting origins of the newborns' parents. I put a sticker over Borger, my hometown.
Now we are all home. Quinn has been perfect since we got him home. He's barely crying. He showed extreme patience when I was changing his diaper for the first time. I'm definitely going to have to get better at it (and faster). But, I think Quinn will give me tons of opportunities to practice.

We're now trying to settle into our new lives as parents...the next chapter of our lives has now begun!

No comments: