There really hasn't been that many good picture opps these last days since Quinn has been crying a lot these two days - maxing out our (mainly my) patience. At the end of the day, babies cry for no real reason...but it is still very frustrating to see this lovely creature crying so loud - as if someone is pulling his arms apart - not knowing why, and not knowing how to make it go away. All we can do is show him that we are there for him...At the end of the day, he's either hungry, has a dirty diaper, or has gas. You really wish you can convey to him in his babytalk that gas is fun! In a few years he and his classmates will laugh when they have gas...but for him, now, it is an offense that warrants screaming like a stuck pig.
At the end of the day, he's been great these last two weeks. I had expected a lot less sleep. He sleeps between 3 and 5 hours, uninterrupted, at night.
Tomorrow, we are beginning a new chapter in Family Gould book...I have to go back to work. These last two weeks of 'vacation' have been great. I think it has allowed us to enjoy our first days together as a family without much of the standard stress of work. I've really liked our time together...we've had a lot of great walks in our neighborhood, we've sat on terraces drinking coffee, and we've even barbequed together. The weather has been great. But, it has been a lot of work. In these last weeks, I have gained a tremendous amount of respect for those parents that have to do it alone or for those parents with twins.
These last two weeks could not have been better...except it would be nice if Quinn could tell us exactly what was causing him to cry. I sort of laugh to myself that it is God's last joke to us humans: when you think about the process that begins with a sperm and an egg and ends with a child, you have to be amazed as to how well it actually works. If babies could actually tell us what was wrong, than it would be just a bit too easy for us parents...making it a bit too easy to forget how complex and how wonderful a child actually is.
Lots of people ask how it feels to be a father...I can't really answer that one yet. I guess I still need to let it sink in a bit.
Thanks for letting me ramble a bit.
P.S. It is amazing how quickly one can 'forget' one's opposition to pacifiers (Schnuller), when one realizes how quickly it calms a child...
P.P.S. high ho, high ho, it's off to work I go...
No comments:
Post a Comment