Monday, March 05, 2007

Hebamme (Midwife)

While it is very difficult for me to compare the two different health care systems of the US and Germany, I can say that I'm truly impressed with the service that we've gotten. It certainly doesn't hurt that Erlangen has one of the best med schools in Germany and is a teaching hospital (Uniklinik).

During the birth, we had a midwife-in-training during the complete birth process. We also had regular visits from the head midwife. Towards the end, we had regular visits from the doctor.

I had to learn (or relearn) what a midwife actually was. I had this picture of the 18th century birthing process - something relatively old fashioned. After all, this is the 21st century, why can't I get a doctor.

I have to say, that the care from the midwife was exceptional. There was a nice mix of high tech from the doctor and 'practical' birthing experience from the midwife. Midwives go through a tremendous amount of training, and actually have the first priority during the actual birth. First midwife, then doctor.

What's even better, the health care system here gives us daily visits, at our home, for the first 10 days we're home. This is a very cool and comforting value added service. Definitely preventative care.

As with everything else, it has a price that has to be paid: 50%+ taxes. For now, I feel like we're getting our money's worth: We had multiple people helping us with the birth in a newly remodeled hospital, 3 days in the hospital, lots of preventitive tests, and 10 days of home visits from a midwife for 10 EUR. Not a bad value.

No comments: