Early this week, a british colleague of mine sent me a word document containing a few excerpts of an American's experience in Germany. Let's just say that I fell out of my chair laughing. A few of my favorites:
Aspirin
The German Language : will always be a learning experience.
Du : will always be a source of uncomfort, especially in January, after a long Christmas break, when I talk to those colleagues that I have little interraction with and can't remember whether I need to use Du or Sie.
Sunshine : the winters can be really gray here...but is the reason why everyone living in Germany loves and appreciates sunshine. For those of you in Colorado: shut your holes, we know you have 330 days of blue skies every year.
Opening Beer Bottles :like being in college again.
The Autobahn : the only place on earth where I can pass a cop at 140mph and not feel guilty.
Corn - this ones hits very close to home. Kinda like Germans putting string beans in burritos in so-called mexican restaurants. I've actually seen cauliflower in a German burrito. You can therefore guess that there aren't many Mexicans in Germany. I've actually been to a 'Mexican' restaurant that didn't have any jalapenos.
Handshaking
Germans speaking English - I don't want to sit in my glass house, but this is soooooo true. I even had an example at work where one of my German colleagues said 'People that can't speak English shouldn't even try', and he proceeded to show me a few examples of 'poor' English on a Powerpoint slide. His examples were good English...but he missed the spots that were not decipherable. To this day, I still don't understand 'shrimps' and 'informations' ;-)
Es zieht - before Germany was nonsmoking, I loved this trick: go into a bar or restaurant (which was filled with smoke) in winter when it was -10°C outside (about 15°F) and open a window to get some fresh air / air movement (keep in mind, that all windows are closed and there is no heating / cooling system). In about 22 milliseconds, someone will tell you to close the window because there is a draft.
Ice Cream: for Eva.
Perhaps it is time for me to write my own book...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment