Reading to Emily. As with Quinn, she loves picking out books and plopping on my lap to 'convince' me to read to her.
The next few pics are about 2 weeks old: with the snow beginning to melt, it was perfect for making snowmen. Quinn, of course, 'helped' me, but I think I ended up doing most of the work. The two neighbor girls also came down to 'help'...and they did make a few heads, but I got stuck with the backbreaking work. And, I'll admit that I had a blast...with the kiddoes.
By the time we were done, we had 10 snowmen in the yard (do you see the three guarding the goal?). One of the neighborhood kids asked if it was a soccer team. I then counted...and had only 10, so I said that it was a soccer team with one red card.
Emily getting in the action.
Eva gave me a Garmin GPS for Christmas...so that we could begin geocaching and adding a new twist to our family hikes. I hadn't heard of geocaching before getting the Garmin, and I was very surprised that Eva had even heard of such an activity and even more surprised that she REALLY wanted to try it out. (Quinn and Eva with our first 'find'...which took us 3 tries to find.)
Basically, for those of you that have never heard of geocaching, it is a new twist on treasure hunting with a GPS device. There are over a million 'caches' (basically tupperware boxes with simple 'things' inside, including a guestbook) hidden worldwide, and a few hundred within a few miles of our condo. Above, Quinn, Emily, and I with our second cache.After the first cache, Quinn was super excited, and it was precious to see him randomly digging, trying to find the second cache.

The weather today was finally nice and sunny, so we took a small hike in an area with a 'multi cache' (basically, you have to go through a few intermediate points before you finally get the coordinates of the cache). This time, Quinn actually found one of the clues (that both Eva and I overlooked). He was SUPER stoked.

The weather today was finally nice and sunny, so we took a small hike in an area with a 'multi cache' (basically, you have to go through a few intermediate points before you finally get the coordinates of the cache). This time, Quinn actually found one of the clues (that both Eva and I overlooked). He was SUPER stoked.
So far, Eva and Quinn have done all of the finding.
The beauty of geocaching is that it gives a new spin on being outside, and it lets us see new parts of our beloved forests.
If you are interested, http://www.geocaching.com/ is the main website for geocaching. Overally, this is a super family activity, and something we'll do more of...especially when the weather improves.


No comments:
Post a Comment