Even the mention of the words 'Do you believe in miracles' still brings goosebumps to my skin. While I was only 6 years old when the 'Miracle on Ice' occured, it is still a poignant event in my (sports) psyche. It embodies all of the makings of a Hollywood film: the undefeatable, highly experienced (professional) Russian hockey team vs. a bunch of college kids from the US. Let's not forget that this was 1980 and the world was in the height of the cold war.
Oh, and it was the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid, NY.
I still get goosebumps when I see this clip. If you have the time, here's a good 10 minute recap of the game.
So, when I travelled two weeks ago to the US to attend a sales conference in Lake Placid (with a 'normal' biz trip in Philly the next week), I was excited to be able to see this quite ski village in the winter. I was there a few years ago for an Ironman, but it was the summer, and the 'Miracle' is just a bit different without snow.
Thankfully, we had a few hours off during the conference to see some of the highlights. Sort of a mini Olympics. (Please forgive the poor 'video' editing. I'm an amateur.)
After doing some of the 'events'...even curling...you get a bit of an appreciation of the sport - especially biathlon. Those athletes are in and out of the shooting range in 25 seconds. I can't even get down on my belly and stand back up that fast.
Thankfully, I'm back home in Erlangen...enjoying the wonderful winter here: 35 degrees, grey skies, and light rain. Depressing. But it is home, and it is great to be back with Eva and Quinn.
Sunday, February 03, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment