After doing some extensive internet searching, we decided to hole up at the Farmhouse Mulej. We were at first a bit skeptical reserving online for our last three nights of vacation, but every expectation presented online was fulfilled upon arrival. Virtually everything you eat or drink at breakfast and dinner is grown and made on the farm by the family.
Our room was newly renovated and had an adequate balcony with a great view. All the meals were simple, yet tasty and satisfying. The room itself was very reasonable at 25 EUR per night per person...and the greatest deal was the extra 5 EUR for dinner, which entailed farmraised meet and homemade applesauce. The homemade jogurt for breakfast was one of my favorites. They even let me try the traditional farmer's breakfast: buckwheat with onions and some pork. The family even lent us bikes to take the short ride into Bled - allowing us to stay in the country and be close to Bled.
If it sounds like I'm recommending the farmhouse...I am. The family was ultra friendly and helpful. Our stay in their home was definitely our best of Slovenia. You won't be disappointed. Email at info.mulej@gmail.com or at www.mulej-bled.com.
You'll find a few pictures of our room in the home of family Mulej below.
Here's the beautiful of Bled Island. We have about 100 pictures from every angle possible...this angle is actually taken from the castle that is on a steep hill on the other side of the lake. The church on the island goes back many, many centuries, and Bled itself turned 1000 in 2004.
Here's us with the island and castle in the background.
We took one sunny afternoon, and I rowed Eva to the island. I got to get a bit of exercise during this romantic excursion. I can't say that I've ever rowed Eva anywhere, and it was a great way to spend time with Eva in a natural city. It sort of brought out the Alpha male in me.
After we landed, I took this B&W of the steps leading up to the church. Unfortunately, there were a bunch of tourists in the church (unfortunately, most of them were Americans) that were quite loud and (in my opinion) disrespectful. It took a bit of the peacefulness and solitude out of this great island church. Nonetheless, it was worth the trip.
On another day, we took a hike in the 'backcountry' of Bled, and we got to cross over this river full of trout many times over similar wooden bridges.
The full hike took a few hours and didn't have too many peaks and valleys, and it gave a great view of the countryside. When I was playing with one of my camera settings, I lucked into taking this picture of a flower (looks like a poppy) and a bee.
On our final evening, we headed into town for a last nice meal before heading back home, ending our vacation. The dinner was pretty good, but the highlight of the meal were the British couple next too us. They were definitely trying really hard to be regal. After ordering open table wine, they sent it back because it was corked...or maybe because it had been sitting out too long (so they said). I'm no wine expert, but I can tell a corked bottle...and I've never had a corked bottle. Let alone a corked carafe of table wine. And, by definition, open table wine does sit out too long.
Anyway, the guy tried to make up by complementing the cheese they had for their appetizer. He said it was 'lovely'. I can't say that I've ever called cheese 'lovely'...If I were the cheese, I'd be pissed ('I ain't no lovely cheese').
After dinner, we took a stroll and took some final pics of the island and lake. So, can you pick who is pregnant in the collage below?. I think the lighting and the camera angle is making me look fatter than I am (I am really leaning into it).
Here's the last picture of our vacation: Rob imitating a frog shaped trash can. Ribbit. And, no, neither the frog nor I am trying to take a dump.
No comments:
Post a Comment