Saturday, July 07, 2012

Born on the 4th of July

While the 4th of July (obviously) isn't a holiday in Germany, we still decided to have a few people over for grilling -> and did it American style with lots of burgers, hot dogs, cookies, and chips. We even played some baseball.
 What made me most proud was Quinn's picture of the US flag: When he woke up in the morning of the 4th, I explained to him that the 4th of July is a very special day for me and my fellow Americans...that this was the day that we celebrated America's birthday.
 When I came home from work, the first thing he did was handed me his hand drawn flag. No one asked or told him to do this...but he did it. I guess in his own child's mind, he internalized what I said in the morning. I just about cried when I saw the flag.

It is now hanging in my office (and is the only personal thing that I have in my office).
 No 4th of July is complete without hot dogs.  I guess Emily thought eating these 'dogs' was so dangerous that she needed her bike helmet on.  I even made my kitchen sink burgers (everything is in them except the kitchen sink).  They are also known as 'Männerburgers' (Man Burgers).
 Great action shot from Eva.  Looks as if Emily hit the ball.  She still has a long way to go with eye/hand coordination, but she loves playing with us...and rounds the bases for a home run if the bat touches the ball.
 Nick and his family joined us as well:  they are new to the neighborhood, and he is from Texas!  Nice to have another Texan around.
 Emily and her poor (naked) doll.  She loves that thing...but even though the doll has a few outfits, it is almost always naked.

 A rare shot of Emily's baby with clothes (almost) on.
Hope you all had a great 4th of July!

1 comment:

Grandma Gould said...

Quinn, Grandma is so proud of you and loved your drawing of the flag. I'm glad that you enjoy the puzzle box. Let me know which one your really liked. xoxoxoxoxox

Emily, you are such a party girl and I hear about you jumping in the pool with your street clothes on. Papa said you we very smart to hold onto the side of the pool. When we come to see you in Sept, I would love to see you and Quinn swim. xoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Love Grandma