The kids did a great job getting through the airport, definitely aided by their travel experience, excitement, and the airplane playground in the airport.Eva and I also thought it was especially interesting to see how Quinn got excited about the upcoming vacation.
We landed to the weather we had expected: sun, warmth, and not a cloud in the sky. The first week we stayed in a condo between Alcudia and Ca'n Picafort on the northeast part of the island.The first full day of vacation, we took to the Sunday market in Pollenca and climbed the 365 steps to an old church on the top of the hill in the city's center.
The market was full of smoked ham (a regional delicacy), cheeses, olives, and the sort. Every time I get to visit such markets, I wish I liked olives, because they look so good. Still can't get over the rancid odor of blue cheese in the 80°F heat.
Here are Eva and I in front of the church...basking on our wonderful wisdom of picking a great island in the Mediterranean that is known for its great weather, local flair, and natural beauty. (For the US readers, the main city of Palma is also known as a party town, a cross of Cancun during spring break and New Orleans during Mardi Gras).
Nina and Eva's parents were with us as well during the trip. Nina is pictured above prior to her scuba intro. Note the grey, cloudy sky in the background. The temps have also dropped.
Eva gave me the green light to rent a road bike for the first week. Since we were close to the Mallorcan mountains, there is tons of great riding to be had. I did mainly shorter rides - an hour or so. I did one ride to the Cap de Formentor, which is crowned by a lighthouse at the end of the road (which is also the end of the island. Shortly after the lighthouse, there is a steep walled drop off into the Med).
Thankfully, I picked the perfect day for the ride.
Below a super cool looking olive tree in Pollenca.
One of the many bays on the island.
After my amazing ride to Cap de Formentor, I 'convinced' Eva that it would be a great day trip for us. Since the views were great and there were lots of geocaches along the way, we had the makings for a nice morning sans kids.
As you can tell...the weather didn't exactly cooperate. But, the views were still breathtaking.
Slightly windy for Eva logging this cache.
The lighthouse at Cap de Formentor.
A bay view looking at Port de Pollenca in the background, before the mountains.
Emily on the beach, building sandcastles.
Emily, showing the makings of a great manager, always delegated the task of getting water to someone else.
Both kids love playing in the sand and building sandcastles...which is great, since it is also great fun for me, but the kids never let me build what I wish to build ;-)
Here is Quinn in a nearby bird sanctuary, with a freshly found cache in hand.
Rainer and I carrying in groceries in pouring rain. We have Eva to thank for this great picture: she made the right decision, in the blink of an eye, to decide to stay under the cover of the porch of our condo and take this picture rather than help us bring in the groceries.
...beach and mountains: the perfect combination for our family.
On another less than optimal (weather) day, we headed to Alcudia to visit an old castle / fortress which goes back to the Roman times. Quinn really digged walking on the fortress walls. The church was also amazing.
A view from outside of the fortress.
Nina swimming in the relatively cold Med sea, which will warm up considerably in the coming months.
...in the bird sanctuary....
Caching near our condo...at the Cova de Sant Marti, a church in an underground cave that goes back to the early days of Christianity.
Another pic with my cell phone on one of my rides.
We grilled a lot at our condo. Its location was perfect: just a few meters to the beach, yet not too remote. Grilling is perfect on vacation.
The view from our bedroom balcony.
The front of our condo...with Quinn and I playing catch with a tennis ball. It still never ceases to amaze me how much a simple ball can entertain a child. Plus...it is fun for me as well ;-) Notice the ball in the air.
As our second week of vacation drew near, we packed up our sandtoys and headed off to an 'all inclusive' resort near Porto Cristo, on the eastern part of the island. The running joke at this point of the vacation was that we hoped the cloud that has been more or less circling us in Ca'n Picafort was not going to be at Porto Cristo.
The beach near the hotel was perfect...with tons of sand for Emily to play with.
Family pic with Oma and Opa.
The only thing that wasn't 'all inclusive' was the outdoor pool tables and peanuts at the bar. Of course, Quinn wanted to play pool...
Another view of the beach near the hotel.
The market was full of smoked ham (a regional delicacy), cheeses, olives, and the sort. Every time I get to visit such markets, I wish I liked olives, because they look so good. Still can't get over the rancid odor of blue cheese in the 80°F heat.
Here are Eva and I in front of the church...basking on our wonderful wisdom of picking a great island in the Mediterranean that is known for its great weather, local flair, and natural beauty. (For the US readers, the main city of Palma is also known as a party town, a cross of Cancun during spring break and New Orleans during Mardi Gras).
Nina and Eva's parents were with us as well during the trip. Nina is pictured above prior to her scuba intro. Note the grey, cloudy sky in the background. The temps have also dropped.
Eva gave me the green light to rent a road bike for the first week. Since we were close to the Mallorcan mountains, there is tons of great riding to be had. I did mainly shorter rides - an hour or so. I did one ride to the Cap de Formentor, which is crowned by a lighthouse at the end of the road (which is also the end of the island. Shortly after the lighthouse, there is a steep walled drop off into the Med).
Thankfully, I picked the perfect day for the ride.
Below a super cool looking olive tree in Pollenca.
One of the many bays on the island.
After my amazing ride to Cap de Formentor, I 'convinced' Eva that it would be a great day trip for us. Since the views were great and there were lots of geocaches along the way, we had the makings for a nice morning sans kids.
As you can tell...the weather didn't exactly cooperate. But, the views were still breathtaking.
Slightly windy for Eva logging this cache.
The lighthouse at Cap de Formentor.
A bay view looking at Port de Pollenca in the background, before the mountains.
Emily on the beach, building sandcastles.
Emily, showing the makings of a great manager, always delegated the task of getting water to someone else.
Both kids love playing in the sand and building sandcastles...which is great, since it is also great fun for me, but the kids never let me build what I wish to build ;-)
Here is Quinn in a nearby bird sanctuary, with a freshly found cache in hand.
Rainer and I carrying in groceries in pouring rain. We have Eva to thank for this great picture: she made the right decision, in the blink of an eye, to decide to stay under the cover of the porch of our condo and take this picture rather than help us bring in the groceries.
...beach and mountains: the perfect combination for our family.
On another less than optimal (weather) day, we headed to Alcudia to visit an old castle / fortress which goes back to the Roman times. Quinn really digged walking on the fortress walls. The church was also amazing.
A view from outside of the fortress.
Nina swimming in the relatively cold Med sea, which will warm up considerably in the coming months.
...in the bird sanctuary....
Caching near our condo...at the Cova de Sant Marti, a church in an underground cave that goes back to the early days of Christianity.
Another pic with my cell phone on one of my rides.
We grilled a lot at our condo. Its location was perfect: just a few meters to the beach, yet not too remote. Grilling is perfect on vacation.
The view from our bedroom balcony.
The front of our condo...with Quinn and I playing catch with a tennis ball. It still never ceases to amaze me how much a simple ball can entertain a child. Plus...it is fun for me as well ;-) Notice the ball in the air.
As our second week of vacation drew near, we packed up our sandtoys and headed off to an 'all inclusive' resort near Porto Cristo, on the eastern part of the island. The running joke at this point of the vacation was that we hoped the cloud that has been more or less circling us in Ca'n Picafort was not going to be at Porto Cristo.This was also the first time that we went to an 'all inclusive' resort. I really wanted to try it out, and I thought the 'no worrying about what / when to cook' would be a nice twist to our final week. Eva was a bit skeptical.
We picked a place that was 'kid friendly', and their 'kid friendliness' definitely exceeded our expectations. They had a mini kids buffet for each meal, so that even Quinn could get his own food. They had all sorts of daily activities as well as a 'Kiddie Disco' each night (pictured above). The first few nights, Eva and I didn't encourage the disco, since it was so late in the night (for Quinn), but the 'entertainers' at the kids club mentioned the disco, and Quinn said he wanted to go.
And he did. And he loved it. It turned out to be a part of our nightly routine.
The beach near the hotel was perfect...with tons of sand for Emily to play with.
Family pic with Oma and Opa.
The only thing that wasn't 'all inclusive' was the outdoor pool tables and peanuts at the bar. Of course, Quinn wanted to play pool...
Another view of the beach near the hotel.With Emily being over a year and a half, it was perfect timing to get to spend so much intense time with her. She is really starting to talk now, and her personality is really taking shape. During the vacation, she also got out her first english words: 'Duck' and 'Let's go'.
The hotel had all sorts of ball sports that were included: basketball, soccer, tennis, badminton, volleyball. Quinn and I spent a lot of time playing or watching others play (Quinn is really fascinated with watching others play sports. Wonder where he got that from ;-)
The hotel had all sorts of ball sports that were included: basketball, soccer, tennis, badminton, volleyball. Quinn and I spent a lot of time playing or watching others play (Quinn is really fascinated with watching others play sports. Wonder where he got that from ;-)When Quinn said that he wanted to play tennis, my first response was 'no'. But after a few seconds, I remembered that it was vacation, and it wouldn't hurt. So, I picked up a kiddie racquet and we got started.
Now, I would be exaggerating if I said that he was a natural talent, but after a few tips from my side (which included: hold the racquet like a baseball bat and pretend the tennis ball is a baseball...further proof that I'll never be a tennis coach ;-), he got the hang of it.
Quinn staring amazed at the entertainers at the kiddie disco.
On our last afternoon, Eva and I went on a hike just south of our hotel, in hopes to find a few caches. We never got the the caches (which would pretty much require climbing gear), but had an awesome hike.
More sandcastles.
...and more views from our beach...
Emily on one of the rides (also not 'included'), but she loved climbing on it.
While we had hoped for slightly better weather and even though we decided to not do as many day trips (Quinn gets carsick pretty easy now), we had a great vacation. While one can always look back at the things that one couldn't do or the weather that was less than optimal, the true proof of a great vacation is: 1) did we relax and forget about work and the day to day grind, 2) did we spend quantity time with our children (or family / friends), 3) did we have fun, and 4) did our kids have fun.
Now, I would be exaggerating if I said that he was a natural talent, but after a few tips from my side (which included: hold the racquet like a baseball bat and pretend the tennis ball is a baseball...further proof that I'll never be a tennis coach ;-), he got the hang of it.We had a few volleys over the days, but our playing consisted mainly of one serve volleys. But, when he hit the ball, he really wacked it (like he does with the baseball).
Quinn staring amazed at the entertainers at the kiddie disco.
On our last afternoon, Eva and I went on a hike just south of our hotel, in hopes to find a few caches. We never got the the caches (which would pretty much require climbing gear), but had an awesome hike.
More sandcastles.
...and more views from our beach...
Emily on one of the rides (also not 'included'), but she loved climbing on it.
While we had hoped for slightly better weather and even though we decided to not do as many day trips (Quinn gets carsick pretty easy now), we had a great vacation. While one can always look back at the things that one couldn't do or the weather that was less than optimal, the true proof of a great vacation is: 1) did we relax and forget about work and the day to day grind, 2) did we spend quantity time with our children (or family / friends), 3) did we have fun, and 4) did our kids have fun.From my point of view, we had a great vacation. Since Quinn is still singing the songs from the kiddie disco, I'm sure, in his own 4 year old mind, he had a blast. Next year, Emily will get to voice her opinion...and I hope that our next vacation is as great as this one.
...but I will still hope for better weather...

No comments:
Post a Comment