...but the drive up north is never easy, especially in winter, when the days are much shorter and the Autobahn is much more full. We had a pretty smooth go at it this year. Quinn got a bit cranky at the end, so I put in a live Dave Matthews CD (Live at Radio City Music Hall...a must buy for DMB fans). It was super cute when Quinn started clapping after each song. Quinn is ALWAYS allowed to clap after Dave.
The time flew by as always. It certainly helped that Eva's mom insisted that Quinn sleep on the ground floor with her instead of up in the attic with us. We felt a bit guilty that we didn't put up a fight for Quinn...but the extra hour of sleep was quite nice each morning. Eva and I even figured out our Christkind and Santa Claus strategies just in time.
Quinn was much better at unwrapping the gifts this year, but was surprisingly restraint from touching the tree or trying to unwrap gifts that weren't for him. He even got to hang a few ornaments, like the one that my parents got him for his second Christmas, which he is hanging above. Thanks Mom and Dad!Quinn's Tante Nina also set him up for sledding: with a sled and knit hat. We didn't have any snow, but Quinn had as much fun letting me pull him around on the carpet. I can already feel my frozen toes and dead back when it finally snows at home...but look forward to Quinn's fun sledding experience, red cheeks, and Eva's hot chocolate when it finally does snow. Thanks Nina!
Somehow, this is a typical male Gould 'After the feast' picture. If Quinn had a belt, he would have loosened it. Quinn has always been an eater, and since we've started giving him 'real people food' about a year ago, we've never really prohibited him from eating stuff. Since he can talk more, he will let us know what he wants when we have a cold dinner (Brotzeit).So, at Christmas Eve dinner, he had vennison, red cabbage, and dumplings (Knödel) like the rest of us. At least that is food that most 'normal' Westerners would eat. Let's just say that I was a bit unsure of what to do when Quinn pointed to the cold herring salad (Heringssalat), a specialty from the House of Göttgens, on Christmas day. Being from west Texas, Long John Silvers (ähnlich wie Nordsee) is sea food that I can stomach. Cold herring is a stretch for me.
But Quinn wanted it. So, I gave him some. He ate it...and wanted more. Then he wanted to try the cold, smoked salmon...which he also ate. Then some deviled eggs...then cold cuts (Wurst). Strange kid...but at least he was full.
We kinda forgot to take the family pic this year...so this is the closest we got. With Quinn's 'new' wooden train set from Oma and Opa!
Quinn is a bit young for the set, and I love the 'old school' nature of a wooden train set, which is still very popular for young children here. Let's just say that Papa is still having a blast laying tracks...Tausend Dank Oma und Opa!!!
...oh...the look on children's faces during Christmas...makes it all worthwhile!
Eva's cousin Lea even played a few songs with her wooden flute. Quinn was mesmorized...and loved clapping after each song.
As a child, I always loved waking up Christmas morning, unwrapping gifts in my PJ's (Schlafanzug), and eating cookies all day (our family rule was that Mom didn't cook on Christmas since she prepared a FEAST the day before...therefore, we were allowed to eat whatever leftover we wanted...and I always chose cookies).This small Gould tradition is now being passed on to Quinn...seen below playing in his PJ's.
Sometimes I wondered if Quinn enjoyed analyzing the wrapping paper more than the toy itself. The child looks as if he analyzes EVERYTHING.
...note the chocolate on Quinn's mouth in this pic with Oma and Tante Nina.
With the trip to Eva's parents behind us, we headed back home. With the temps dropping, we still tried to get out every once in a while to get some fresh air with Quinn.
Who had a blast in his Bobby Car despite the cold weather. I think Quinn looks like the Stay-Puft marshmallow man (from Ghostbusters) in this snowsuit. At first, he didn't like the gloves, but after a few minutes in sub freezing weather, he quickly learned to say gloves so that he could tell us to put them on.
Alas...one minor detail for the new year. With my 'new' job at a new sector at Siemens a full month behind me, I decided it was time to spluge a bit and get some new wheels for my new job.
Sometimes I wondered if Quinn enjoyed analyzing the wrapping paper more than the toy itself. The child looks as if he analyzes EVERYTHING.
...note the chocolate on Quinn's mouth in this pic with Oma and Tante Nina.
With the trip to Eva's parents behind us, we headed back home. With the temps dropping, we still tried to get out every once in a while to get some fresh air with Quinn.
Who had a blast in his Bobby Car despite the cold weather. I think Quinn looks like the Stay-Puft marshmallow man (from Ghostbusters) in this snowsuit. At first, he didn't like the gloves, but after a few minutes in sub freezing weather, he quickly learned to say gloves so that he could tell us to put them on.
Alas...one minor detail for the new year. With my 'new' job at a new sector at Siemens a full month behind me, I decided it was time to spluge a bit and get some new wheels for my new job.Even though I had about a mile to commute, I knew I wanted something classic and timeless.
I thought that a convertible would be appropriate...
But I thought that I should get a used vehicle to save some cash...
A fuel efficient vehicle was also a top priority...
A vehicle with few greenhouse emissions was important...
Plus, I wanted to look cool on my new ride...
The air conditioner works great, but is less efficient in summer...
The best 40 EUR I ever spent. A super old school 'Orion', three gear bike, alu rims with coaster brakes...This baby is at least 25 years old and is in great shape...I love riding my new bike to work!
...and...a Happy New Year. I wish you all the best, lots of health, happiness, and success for 2009.

1 comment:
Happy New Years to the Goulds!!!!!
Post a Comment