Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Goodbye to an Old Friend

...unfortunately, the time had come, and I had to say goodbye to an old friend...an old friend that had been a close friend to many of us at the House...an old friend that was always there with open 'arms' for anyone that needed a little support.


...Goodbye to The Orange Chair (196? - 2009)

...below is a picture of The Orange Chair shortly before being taken to the city dump. While The Orange Chair had seen better days, The Orange Chair was still a near perfect specimen of it's kind: 1960's style. The Orange Chair had lived long enough to see a comeback in this style.
The Orange Chair was a graduation gift from Ize, who probably felt bad for me knowing that I was going to KC and had no furniture (and knew that I was too cheap to buy any before I had the cash). For 6 months in KC, The Orange Chair was the only furniture in my new Bachelor Pad's living room - save 3 milk crates and an old TV (the kind with knobs and an antenne).
The Orange Chair (196? - 2009) is survived (maybe...but perhaps Anita has thrown it out) by his twin sister, The Reclining Orange Chair and his older brother, The Long Tan Couch. While only a few pictures survived the 'Digital Camera Revolution', there is one digitized pic of The Long Tan Couch. Everyone in this picture (and those that were with us that night...and you know who you are) can remember the service that The Orange Chair, The Reclining Orange Chair, and The Long Tan Couch played that night.

The Orange Chair was actually the only item that I negotiated keeping when Eva and I got married. The Orange Chair was MINE. But, with a growing family and lack of space in our basement, The Orange Chair had to be put to rest so that we could actually find stuff in our tiny 5 square meter basement. I will miss you, The Orange Chair.

On a more serious note, it has been very cold here lately, and we actually got some snow. A great chance to take Quinn's sled for a test run to see how the little guy liked sledding.
...he was confused a bit at first, but I think he liked the idea of me running around.
...the smiles and cold, red cheeks made an appearance or two...
We've got a great sledding hill a few hundred meters from our place that we test drove as well.
Editor's Note: the editor recognizes the complaints of many readers that there just aren't enough pics of Eva (who tends to take most of the pics nowadays). The Editor agrees, and he will try to make sure he confiscates the camera from Eva from time to time to take a few pics.
...a few good pics of Eva and Quinn from today.










We braved IKEA a few days ago...and for those of you that are IKEA fans, you know that IKEA = Work (to put the stuff together). I took a strategy from my dad, and asked Quinn to help me out. I was a bit nervous when he got bored of handing me pieces of wood and nails and wanted to do the hammering himself (letting me hold the nails for him). But, he did a pretty good job for a 2 year old!

We just hope he doesn't find the hammer and tries to hammer a few nails into our floor or TV.

1 comment:

Anita said...

Well.....I'm a tough comment to get on a blog.....but the retirement of The Orange Chair will certainly bring me out of the shadows!

I will appreciate my memories of The Orange Chair, and I am surprised and appreciative that you have cared for The Orange Chair for so long. It led a full life......lots of butts to comfort......drunken fellows to steady.....aaaaahhhh The Orange Chair.

Long Live The Orange Chair!

Ize