It is dangerous, unwise, and downright stupid for a husband to even try to compare his wife to his mother. This blogpost is not an attempt to do so.
However, somehow during my childhood, I got instilled with the belief that mothers just don't get sick. My mom was never sick...well, almost never. I think I can remember only one time while I was growing up that she was in bed sick. My dad and I, on the other hand, had our share of illnesses. And, in true 'man' fashion, we were whiners when we were down and out.
...but not my mom...never
I asked her one day why she never got sick. Her answer was simple: Mom's just don't have time to be sick. I was probably 6 at the time. Simple enough. So, it stuck. Mom's just don't have time to be sick. This became my reality, and no biology teacher or doctor could convince me with facts otherwise.
Mom's don't have time to get sick.
This thought was so ingrained in my belief system, that when Eva was pregnant with Quinn, I was starting to think: well, maybe Eva will be sick less often. Simple. It is not that Eva is chronically ill; she just gets colds and the flu like the rest of us. But I was still hoping, and thinking, that the Mom Rule would apply.
Unfortunately, in this case, not. Eva has been under the weather these last few days. Thankfully, Quinn is still in good shape. Even though the Mom Rule seemed to be out to lunch this week, Eva is taking a very difficult situation like a champ. If I were home all day with a toddler and had a raging cold, I'd be whining to anyone that would listen. I'd be begging for this or that and hoping that someone would take care of me.
Not Eva. It is just not in her.
Maybe there is another Mom Rule in the making - one that Quinn will one day learn:
Quinn: "Mom, why don't you whine and complain like Daddy does?"
Eva: "Because Moms don't have time to complain. They have more important stuff to do"
Hang in there Eva and get well. I'll be home from work soon.
Friday, January 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment