Sunday, July 24, 2011

Goodbye to an old Friend, Part II

It is fully clear to me how ridiculous it is to get attached to a 'thing', any you may even remember my heartfelt goodbye to The Orange Chair. It is now time to say goodbye to another great 'friend': The First (Good) Road Bike.

After riding on an old hand me down for a while and after deciding to do triathlon, I bought my custom fit Torelli at my local bike shop almost 15 years ago.

She's been my ride through countless miles and three successful Ironman Triathlons.
For any of you that ride, you know that it is virtually impossible to sell an old bike, even if it is in decent shape. After a few years, all components just get used and old. At best, you get a hundred bucks or so for the frame; any new buyer would most likely want new components, tires, and the like, making the purchase of an old (but good) bike not exactly realistic.

For a hundred bucks, you might as well just keep it in the garage; it's too little to make me want to part with the thing.

Thankfully, one of our friends mentioned that he was looking for a bike, and I mentioned my old road bike. He seemed interested, I pepped it up a bit, we talked about a few of the issues (no need to be dishonest to a friend) ... and he actually agreed to take the bike.

I was happy to find a good home for the bike, and I'm even more stoked that he's excited about having a great bike (he's never had a 'real' road bike) and learning the joy of riding, that I've experienced these last 15 years or so.

So, while I have to part from The First (Good) Road Bike, she's got a happy home and a very caring new owner...which will be more fun for herthan hanging in my garage.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: