Monday, March 07, 2011

Our Little Boy Turns 4

As much as a cliche as it may be, neither Eva nor I can believe that our little baby boy is now four years old. He's passed being a baby a long time ago...and he's not a toddler anymore. He's a kid...a full fledged boy.
Looking at Emily and her excitement, she probably thought that it was her birthday, and at least Quinn tolerated her trying to open his gifts. She did get a few things to open up as well - some nice (and much needed) long sleeved shirts.
The theme of Quinn's big day was soccer...
Some soccer PJ's (extra ball sports included in the PJ's) from Grandmom and Grandpop! Thanks!
Quinn concentrating on his card...
The big winner was the leather soccer ball! He wanted to play immediately (in the house). Eva and I told him that with this ball, he could neither play in the house nor in our backyard (Papa is fearing for the lives of his tulips and hedges). So we'll have to go to the park a few meters from our house to play...
Apparently, I was not specific enough with the rules, and he thought that I said something like 'no soccer in the house'...so he tried playing basketball in the house...
After seeing my first faulty communication of the rules, I quickly realized that Emily didn't think that the rules applied to her.
...then I had to exclude bowling from the list of things 'not to do with the super cool soccer ball'...
...with me being the party pooper (Spielverderber), I had no chance when Quinn looked at me and asked: Papa, can we then go outside and play in the park?
It wasn't even 8am yet, but I was already in my suit, good dress shoes, and it was bloody cold outside.
...so we went outside and played soccer for about 20 minutes (don't ask me what Quinn was doing on the ground...it was cold, man!).
Quinn had a blast, and he can really whack that ball...It never ceases to amaze me how the simplest things can bring such joy!
Part II of the birthday - the children's birthday party will follow. Nothing defines insanity like inviting 5 4-year olds to your house, pump them full of sugar, and try to make sure that no one gets an eye poked out.

No comments: