First of all, the good news: Eva is pregnant.
Eva has been a bit worried that the readers may start thinking that she's getting fat for no reason other than via lack of exercise and excess ice cream. While Eva has been as active as normal (albeit a bit slower), she is carrying our second child. While the pregnancy has been more difficult than with Quinn, Eva is doing great, and the baby is healthy.
The due date is in late September, and we do not know the gender yet...
Nature (and Family) Weekend
Our friends from Erlangen gave us a gift certificate to a family hotel in the Bavarian Forest. While it took us a while to plan the weekend to use this great gift, we finally headed out on Wednesday afternoon for a 3 night stay in a 'Family' hotel. I got huge points by heading out of work by 2pm so we could hit the road early. It is only a 2 hour drive the Bavarian forest, but we wanted to get there with enough time to check the place out before dinner.
The drive went well, until the last curvy portion. Eva doesn't like how I was taking the curves (always too fast). She said that Quinn didn't like them either...I promptly disagreed. How could she know, after all. She could have just told me to slow down instead of using Quinn as her 'excuse' to criticise my driving ;-)
Quinn started screaming. We were practically there. As we were pulling into the parking lot, he puked all over the place. I got the 'I told you so look'.
Then, Quinn, in true Quinn fashion, saw the playground, the huge sandbox, and a car made from a tree trunk. As I was trying to clean the puke off of him (he's screaming), he tries to work his way to the back floorboard to grab his sand toys. He gets the sand toys, and heads straight for the car.I feel only slightly relieved, but he's having a ball with the car (which he spent a lot of time on those few days).

The place was definitely a family oriented hotel. There were playgrounds and play rooms all over the place. It wasn't extravagant (e.g. there was a 'room' above the barn (with original animal odors) with really old Bobby Cars for the kids to ride...which Quinn really loved), but functional and fun for kids.
The sandbox was even fun for Papa. Quinn really loves tractors and dump trucks, so he, of course, loved this sandbox version. And, since the hotel was in the sticks (am A... der Welt), there were plenty of real tractors and farm implements for Quinn to see.
They even had a pony ride for the kiddos on Friday evening. This was a first for Quinn...the only thing that was missing was his Lederhosen. Oh, the clash of two (similar) cultures: Texas and Bavaria.
We also know how to REALLY tire Quinn out. We head to the pool. The little guy had a blast, and he is getting more comfortable in the water. He also is beginning to 'respect' the water, so he's not doing as many things that stress me out (which allows me to enjoy the moment a bit more and not worry about 'the next accident').
The weather wasn't exactly what we were hoping for. Shortly after this pic, it snowed / hailed really hard for about 20 minutes. Try packing a kid and stroller in a car while getting snowed/hailed on. I couldn't do it...and Eva saved the day!Of course, we packed our fleeces and rain gear just in case, like we always do for these sorts of vacations. Since we were going to hike, we also had our hiking pants and shoes. So, we were prepared for suboptimal weather.
Quinn, however, forgot to bring his rain coat and hiking shoes, so he had to wear his fleece and sandals all weekend. We used extra socks for his gloves. Note to self, don't forget normal shoes for the kid ;-) Quinn and I were the only folks on the playground in sandals. Cold feet do not seem to bother him, and I guess he gets that from me...
No Gould vacation would be vacation without a hike, which we did each day. Even though the weather was suboptimal, we made the best of it. I think it is amazing how Eva gets the energy to hike while being 4+ months pregnant, but we hope that #2 picks up an appreciation for the outdoors (and a certain amount of activeness) from this like Quinn did.
On our second hike, we made it to the Pröller Peak, a bit over a 1000m above sea level. As is normal in Bavaria, there was a cross at the peak.
There were some cool tree statues along the way.
The obligatory family pic at the peak.
We let Quinn out of his backpack to let him climb on (and jump from) the rocks. It's got to be fun for him as well...
The weather finally picked up on Friday and Saturday. Saturday, our last day, was perfect. Not a cloud in the sky. We celebrated the weather by heading outside for a hike...Quinn celebrated with a nap during the hike. He doesn't look comfy, does he?
Before we went back home, we headed to the outdoor, summer toboggan course (Sommerrodelbahn). They had two different paths. Eva LOVES these toboggan courses, but chose to not ride. I got 'stuck' riding with Quinn. He was a bit skeptical at first, but seemed to have a good time. As soon as we got off, he jumped off and wanted to ride again (noch mehr!).
You get going a bit fast, and there doesn't seem to be much to protect you. You are low to the ground, can brake (or not break if you want to go faster), but are designed to not have accidents.Nevertheless, we still topped 30km/h (about 18 mph), which is really fast on the tight curves).
Quinn was not happy to go...we could have stayed another few days, but it was time to go. It was a great long, family weekend. And, we still had Saturday and Sunday at home to do some of the 'normal' things.We really love the Bavarian forest...it really fits our personalities and some of the things we love best in life. We always come back refreshed, and can't wait for the next trip!
1000 Dank @ die Erlangen Gang für ein schönes Geschenk. Wir haben das Wochenende sehr, sehr genossen!
English Garden
As mentioned, coming back from the Bavarian forest allowed us to get a few things done at home, and for us, that meant 'working' in the yard. Almost all of the flowers are in bloom, and we really enjoy these few weeks in Spring when our yard is so colorful.
The tulips still remind me of the Pearl Street Mall in Boulder in April, which brings back many, many warm memories.
Eva and I are like a little old couple in the mornings on the weekends, as we look at each tree and bush to see how things have grown the previous week.I, of course, really love working on my grass. I have always wanted a perfect lawn, and I put way more work than most (e.g. I aerate by hand). But, when I walk barefoot through the yard in the morning, it is all worth it. I still have a long way to go (the weeds are coming back), but the work in nature with Mother Nature is extremely rejuvenating and relaxing.
Quinn, like his Papa, likes walking outside without shoes as well...

2 comments:
Pregnant? Congratulations Goulds - we are so happy for you! Due date in September? I'm assuming we won't be seeing you for Thanksgiving this year. By the way Eva, you look fantastic as always - I would never have guessed you were pregnant.
Congratulations on the new expectation guys!
Post a Comment