Saturday, April 06, 2013

Big Boy Bike

When I was 6 or 7, my father took me to a bike store to get my first 'Big Boy Bike'.  I still remember this bike, a Takara Outlaw BMX bike.  Chrome with blue pads that could be reversed to become blue and white checkered pads.



What made this particular event memorable was not necessarily the bike in and of itself.  The fact that it wasn't my birthday or Christmas was unique, but not necessarily the reason.  It was the sentence that my father said as we walked into the store that I still remember to this day; it is this sentence that brings back an overwhelmingly positive feeling:  

"You can have whatever bike you want."

WOW!  A true feeling of a kid in a candystore (well, bike store).  

I rode the hell out of that bike...


So, as Quinn was getting old and big enough to graduate to his first 'Big Boy Bike', I decided to pass this tradition to Quinn.  We had a blast in the store; he touched and rode all sorts of bikes, and while the shop put his bike together, we had a sandwich at Subway (conveniently in the bike shop), where he got unlimited refills of Fanta (a rarity in Germany).
 While Quinn will most likely remember all the Fanta he drank, perhaps he'll become a lifelong lover of bikes, like his father.

A few days later, we headed into our nearby forest, and we mountain biked together.  I had a blast, and I think Quinn did as well...hopefully we'll get to do many more times in the future!

No comments: