Thursday, March 19, 2009

Modern Technology

Without trying to date myself, I feel that my generation is the one that has witnessed most of the modern computer generation from the beginning. While we were a bit too young for punchcards, we were around for Atari, Pong, Apple IIc/e. I took BASIC in high school and learned Pascal and Fortran long before C++ or Visual Basic was even around.

The Internet was born when we were in high school and became useful when we were in college.

We've suffered through dial up modems and are now disappointed when we can't easily find a HotSpot.

One would think that nothing would amaze me when it comes to technology...but I'm absolutely amazed how cool it is to 'call' someone via the web and a webcam.

My dad and I are now set up with web cams. Armed with our Google account and a small GoogleApp, we can now web conference 'free' - only having to pay for the cost of our flat rate, high speed internet.

Wow!

The audio is much better than I expected, and the video is good.

Even better, it gives my folks a better chance to 'see' Quinn. Quinn loves it. He now asks for Grandpa more often. So, instead of saying that Grandpa lives a long way away, we just set up a webcall. We chat for a while, Quinn waves into the camera, and my folks can see their grandchild.

Very, very cool. I love the Google Video Chat.

Let me know if you're interested. I'll send you an invite to Googlemail (for those of you in Europe) or Gmail...log in, buy a web cam, and then have fun.

No comments: