Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Universal Truth

As you can imagine, the 4th of July is not really big over here in Germany. It is like any other day, but many of my colleagues are aware of the day and ask thoughtful questions about Independence Day.

So what does the 4th of July mean to me? Of course, one looks back and thinks of those days before the independence over 200 years ago (practically yesterday by European standards) - mostly through the pages of those history texts that we learned in grade school.

However, for me, like many Americans (I think), the 4th is a day not only to reflect on our country's history but also to reflect on the value of our friends and family. I don't want to get too deep here...but this tends to translate into a BBQ. Yes, for me, the 4th of July means grilling with friends and family. I'm not too sure if this means that I've lost my stripes, but I cannot imagine a 4th without my grill.

After talking to Eva, we decided to grill some hot dogs. Nothing fancy. Just hot dogs. And buns as well. So what is the universal truth: hot dogs come in packages with a different quantity than that of the buns. Yep...we had 6 dogs and 4 buns. In the States, you get 8 dogs and 6 buns.

Why does it work this way? Is it marketing or is it some cruel joke?

So, as you celebrate the 4th in your special way - whether via parades, going to firework shows, grilling, or just sitting on the couch all day - take a few moments to remind yourselves of our country's roots, its rise during the industrial revolution, and its current place on the world stage.

While the future might be in the hands of 'The Mighty Quinn' that is sitting beside me in his PJ's, it is our duty to prepare him for this challenge...

...maybe he can convince the hot dog people to put fewer dogs in a package or convince the bun people to stuff a few more buns in the bag...

1 comment:

Jay Holley said...

Rob-

I suppose you are preparing for your big bike trip. I hope all is well with you and the family. I just wanted to let you know that I have set up a blog for the Journey of Hope if you are interested. I have only been able to post on 3 or 4 occasions due to unreliable internet, but I try to type at least something up each day so I can post it all at once.

The url is jayholley.blogspot.com

Thanks again for supporting Push America by sponsoring me.

Take care.

Yours in Pi Kappa Phi,

Jay Holley
Eta Gamma 524